Sunday, October 21, 2007

sunday!

Sundays generally suck as a day of the week because it is the day when you have to come to terms that the weekend is over and you have all your homework left to do that you haven't started! It's the day when you wake up, roll over, groan and just want to go back to bed...but instead you chug as much coffee as you are physically capable and then get to work...right now it's 2:00 and my procrastination is coming to an END - here goes...

Imagine that a play has been written about you, and you are designing a costume for the actor playing you. What sort of outfit would this actor wear and why? What clues would the costume give about your personality? Be sure to mention the fabric, color, and length of the garments. This prompt can also relate to the monodrama you've created. If you are reenacting an event from your past, what would you have worn at that time, and why?

I really love this prompt - I find great pleasure in clothing and love dressing and clothes combinations, etc. I feel like a lot can be told and understood about a person by the way they dress. I probably spend all my money on clothes and food...that's just how it happens! I am also very into thrifting and clearance racks...anything over $20 is unreasonable and I don't give it much of a chance...because of all this, the costuming in shows is one of the things I pay most attention to and notice. The clothing coinciding with the time period...the colors...sizes...materials...everything! I love costumes and feel like they really make the play come to life by really putting the actors into the character and making them look like the character.

So anyways, if a play was written about me, the costume would need to be bright, loud, with as many colors and neons as possible. Completely mismatched, a little bit tacky, but somehow it should all pull together into an ensemble. A little bit tattered and torn and nothing looking new - all somewhat used and secondhand but still bright and loud...not dull....definitely not dull...layers layers layers are important as well. Different layers for different parts of me. Lots of patterns that don't match, but the fact that none of the patterns match makes the entirety of the outfit match. Unreasonably dramatic and clearly wanting attention...asking for people to pay attention to me and my crazy outfit, telling people that no, I don't care if you think my clothes are a little strange but also confident that I can pull off the strangeness and no one will really think that I am strange...a little bit cracked out, maybe too many drugs, a little bit sloppy - yes lets hide any intellectuality beneath the idea of shallow fun fun happy times. Ok now I should explain why it would be all these things - colors, brightness...this is first of all because I really do wear many bright colors and patterns all at once (pretty much the costume I am describing is what I wear on a regular basis...just exaggerated). So I love wearing bright, loud, obnoxious clothing because I like sticking out, I like wearing combinations of things that people would notice in a crowd because I like attention. I am inwardly and outwardly a very happy person and I like to see the colors in life, the vivacity of everything around me and find the happiness, the joy, the interesting parts of life around me rather than seeing in black and white. Okay so completely mismatched with clashing patterns to show that I have all of these contradictory ideas and desires and feelings all the time and although they may individually clash and should not be worn together or work together, overall they all fit together and ultimately are successful. They end up all working together because of the fact that they don't fit together. That's how I feel a lot of the times. Nothing new, all used or a little tattered...yea I have been through trials and tribulations and pain and hurt and I've ultimately come out on top...everything may have worn me down a little bit but at the same time I'm still wearing the colors and seeing the happiness around me, but all of those traumatic things have affected me and are something that I will always carry with me. What better way to learn than through experience? I agree.

ON TO MORE HOMEWORK!!!

No comments: