Sunday, December 16, 2007

Acting classes

Next semester I am signing up to take a Beginning Acting class. I am starting to have some second thoughts about this class. I have never (before this class, Intro to Theater) taken any kind of structured theater classes or had any acting training. I have simply tried out for shows and acted in them. So, I was really excited about taking an acting class and learning about acting as an art and an educational process rather than just an extracurricular hobby that I do when I have the time. But now I am starting to have some second guesses about it. Why do I need training? Will I just start taking some same certain approach to shows because that is what I will be taught? Will the methods that I learn hinder me from really getting into the character or will they help me? Isn't it enough to just act from however you feel the character should act and using your own personal experiences to back up the character choices - or is this not the way to approach acting? I feel like I can pretty successfully find the nuances in a character just from imaging myself in that position and as that person, but maybe this is wrong? Is it wrong to put yourself into the characters? Maybe as a great actor you somewhat turn off yourself and turn on the character you are acting as? I am just worried that taking acting classes will turn me into a single-type actor who can really only play roles in one certain way because I have learned how to act in a certain way. Then again, this is probably not true at all, because the best actors go through a lot of training. Maybe I am just getting cold feet. Acting is one of those really intimidating things where you have to open yourself up to a room full of people and let yourself be vulnerable. I hope that it is a good idea to take an acting class!

No comments: