Wednesday, September 5, 2007

FENCES

This question is so overwhelming to me right now...isn't every choice made in the text is an artistic choice? So I will look at a few different ones. I feel that the major theme that Wilson wants to convey to the reader/audience is that of the complexity of the racial divide and how it permeates not only the social atmosphere of the time but into individual families as well. While Troy felt the rejection from the society of the city in his job and in his baseball abilities, Cory was rejected by Troy and didn't have him as a loving father, and Troy's wife (I forget her name) was rejected by Troy as well when he cheated on her with another woman after having been married to her for 18 years. Troy also rejects Bono at the end of the play when he moves up to the driver position in his job and does not spend as much time with his friend. Troy also rejects Gabriel his brother when he turns him in to be put in an insane asylum so that he can get some money out of it. Troy rejects Lyons too, and pushes him further away from him and his new family...treating Lyons roughly and blaming him for not being closer when the truth is that it was initially Troy who separated them. I want to somewhat change what I think the theme and Wilson's point of the play is...I feel that Wilson wants to show how the racial segregation and injustices that were present in that time period affected all aspects of African American lives. Troy is unable to fully connect with any of the characters in the play. He eventually rejects each of the characters and outcasts himself.

No comments: